LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Word for 2011

So last night I came across an old art journal I had created back in 2005. It was filled with images of overweight people who had become skinny. There was also a photo of me in a sports bra and shorts looking tired and depressed. I think I looked pretty good. Better than today anyway. I thought I needed to lose weight then? Ha! Little did I know where I'd be just 6 years later....

 It's not that I'm obese. No. I don't have THAT much to lose...30 pounds tops. But let's get real here folks. I have been gaining each year...getting flabbier and flabbier and feeling it!

The goals I had for myself 6 New Years ago are the same ones I have today....

*get lean
*be energized
*lose 20 pounds
*eat clean foods
*workout 5 to 6 days a week
*love myself

I was nearly 20 pounds lighter 6 years ago and I wanted to lose 20 pounds? Heck, I just want to get back to that photograph!

What I realized last night is there are at least half a dozen journals with the same exact goals written in them all over my house. It's true. I run into them on occasion.

To say that THIS is my year...well, I've said it before. I said it back in 2005. THIS is the year I get fit once and for all!!!

What if I do say
that THIS really IS the year
I get fit once and for all?
Do I mean it? 
What am I willing to do to get me there?
What am I going to do differently?


"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
~ Albert Einstein

For the past 4 or 5 years I have chosen ONE WORD to focus on throughout the year. Last year's word was POSSIBILITIES. I just tried to open myself up to new things, new ideas and thinking out of the box. Overall I think I did pretty good with this word. I began painting and exploring various art forms. I wrote more than ever while growing my Words of Me blog to nearly 200 Followers. {a big deal for me}. I aslo began to realize that my life is really just beginning. The possibilities haven't stopped just because I'm in my 40's. I have lots of life left...lots left to do....lots that I want to do.


This years WORD? Well, I have thought about it for the past 2 months. At first CREATE kept coming to mind. But no, I want to do more than just CREATE. I want this WORD of mine to encompass everything I want to accomplish from my weight loss to my creativity to the way I live my life. So after thinking and thinking and thinking here is the WORD wthat kept popping in my mind....



reinvent


1.
to invent again or anew, esp. without knowing that the invention already exists.
2.
to remake or make over, as in a different form: At 60, he reinvented himself as a volunteer. We have an opportunity to reinvent government.
3.
to bring back; revive: to reinvent trust and accountability.





Author Lesley Garner says this about self reinvention...

"Do what you love. Do something because you really want to. You can't lose. Your passions can become useful in surprising ways. Each time you have to reinvent yourself you will find that the life you have lived is every bit as important as the job you have been paid for. What lies behind successful self-reinvention is the act of giving value to everything we have done. What should you be doing with your life? You should be doing what you think is valuable" 

I chose REINVENT because I want to become a better me. I want to take a look at my life and know that I have been successful in many areas of my life and I know I can use those success's to help me find my way with future goals. I love many parts of me but there are those areas in my life that need help. In 2011 I want to become whole. I want to take my passions that fuel my spirit and fly!!




What about you? What will your WORD for 2011 be?

3 comments:

  1. REINVENT!!!! That's a fanTAStic word ... really great, Les. I firmly believe that you are well on your way, dear Leslie, and I look forward to going through the journey with you. Here's to a New Year and a new chapter of life. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the choosen word!! I can totally relate to having journals all over the place from different years with the same weight loss goals. But I also KNOW for sure that there comes a time when we actually stick to those goals and they do come true permanently!!! Then we can decide to take a short break or immediately focus on other goals and objectives :) BEST OF LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Einstein quote! I've been thinking about how my list of goals is remarkably similar to past years and that each year I say "This is the year" too. But this is it! I am going to join you this year in making the seemingly insane come true!

    ReplyDelete