LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Overcoming My Soda Addiction

Girls, I am doing it!! I have not had one of these in FIVE DAYS!!!

One of my goals for 2011 is to give up Diet Soda. Well, maybe not entirely but at least as often as I drink it. Every day for the past 5 years or so I've had one of these from Sonic. Route 44 Diet Coke with lime. Yum-o.

But really it's not good for me. It's an addiction. I don't want to be addicted to anything.

So last Saturday night I had my last diet soda. I have been doing pretty good. No caffiene headaches {so far} and no real cravings for the fizzy drink. All I've been drinking is ice water with lemon. It really does feel great!!!

What I'm learning is that the longer I go without my diet soda the stronger I become. If I can overcome this addiction and just say no then I can surely begin saying no to cake and chips and other treats, right? I can feel myself gaining momentum. Right now I'm still somewhere near the botton of the hill looking up but little by little, with every day that goes by I am inching my way up...

Soon I'll be at the top looking to slide right down into a healthier, happy me. 

That beats a Diet Coke anyday.

What kinds of food addictions have you overcome? How did you do it? Please share!

5 comments:

  1. I used to call myself a "sugar addict" but with time I realized that it wasnt necessarily my brain "telling" me to eat the sugar. I started paying attention to the activities I was doing when cravings would hit (IE: For me is usually when im sitting on my couch watching TV for more than an hour). I soon realized that the activities were the ones making me crave stuff. So, instead, I would pick up a book or a favorite magazine and avoid too much tv--believe it or not, this has slowed down my cravings tremendously! However, Im still human (not perfect) and I still have cravings from time to time but not with the consistency or intensity of before. Hope it helps and good luck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your addiction! I've just recently given up Diet Coke and the only way I could do it was to just not buy it anymore. It was hard at first, but I drink water w/lemmon and Crystal Light when I want something with flavor. I know it's healthier, but I still sneak a Diet Coke whenever I get groceries (about once or twice a week). It's a lot less than what I did drink and it's a treat now. The sacrifices we make to be healthy! Totally worth it though!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get this! Soda doesn't tempt me. But bread. Oh, bread. And the longer I can go without the easier it is. Makes me wonder time and time again if it is best to just abstain from certain things instead of trying moderation.

    Great job on the soda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just came across this post and am wondering how you're doing off the diet soda? I think it's great that you're not drinking the stuff anymore. Personally, I cut diet sodas out of my diet about 7 years ago and completely stopped having regularly occurring headaches. Amazing. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried giving up my Dr. Pepper, but it is SO HARD!! I grow to hate that fact that now I am back to drinking it whenever the chance presents itself. I don't need soda, but I feel the urge to drink it all the time now, especially since I have my own money to spend.

    I'm going to do this and try to keep away from it, only drinking water or milk. I know I'm strong and I don't want to be addicted to it either, which I can admit I am.

    ReplyDelete